Tuesday 21 May 2013

The Perspective Distortion

Forgot to mention - blood sugar yesterday was 6.2. Blood sugar this mornign was something I entirely forgot about.

Got up this morning, and while saying my morning goodbyes to d, she rubbed a hand over my stomach.
"You're getting flat again," she said, smoothing down the curving line of my belly.
"Na-uh," I said, casting a neurotic eye over my reflection in the wardrobe mirror. "Gonna be up this week. Haven't put the time in to the exercise..."
"Well, to me you look slimmer," she protested.
"We'll see," I said, winking and going off to my walk - yes, blew out the spin class for the second morning in a row. Maybe Friday, we'll see...Maybe it could become a Friday thing.

Sure enough, when I got back from my walk, and did the weigh-in, the numbers were against me - up to 16st 7 - so back to my previous milestone, as I vaguely prophesied an entry or so ago.

Not upset about this - as also mentioned an entry or two ago, I really haven't carved out the time to Disappear this week, and if you don't do the work, you don't get the rewards. This is, after all, something of a rule of biological and economic law. Hopefully, after Thursday (next crunchy deadline), I should be able to kick things up a gear, and get moving in the right direction again. No falling off wagons this time.

I think the perspective difference is interesting though. Not ruling out the idea that d was Just Being Nice, cos she actually Is Really Nice, it's interesting to me that her perspective was to see me as slimmer, while mine was to see myself as fatter. On the one hand, she probably hasn't taken a hard look at me in a few weeks, so this morning, she got the advantage of perceiving me from the perspective of the sudden drop that there has been - let's not bitch here, I've still gone from 17st 9 to 16st 7 in a matter of a few weeks, and it's faaaaaabulous - and the presumed alteration to my shape as a result. I on the other hand, have been Mr Neurotic, flattening out clothes and staring surreptitiously into windows, mirrors, shiny surfaces at any given moment to try and guage how I'm doing without reference to the Nazi Scales, so I'm perceiving myself through the perspective of the smaller, daily fluctuations, which I'm treating to all intents and purposes as Real Things. Which in essence, they're really not.

Anyhow, that's all the news that's fit to print here today. Mostly thinking of people in Oklahoma now. The idea of a tornado literally tearing everything you own, or even tearing your life, to shreds puts everything we think is important on a blah-blah-blah day-to-day basis into a proper perspective. Wouldn't really matter if I had fish and chips and cheesecake tomorrow; I could get up Thursday and start again from scratch. How those poor people do anything remotely similar, I don't know...

No comments:

Post a Comment