Wednesday 8 May 2013

The Cardiac Bypass

Good news today: had an appointment with my cardiologist to discuss my tachycardia. Filled him in on the history, the most recent episodes, the nature of the issue, and essentially, he told me to go away.

Not, I hasten to add, in the same spirit as my GPs did with this whole hearing loss thing. He outlined a course of action, and a course of treatment, but we agreed that as my tachycardic incidents were infrequent, and brief, and had no particular consequences, I probably didn't need to follow through on the course of action yet. If they get more frequent, or more severe, or both, then I'll have a recorder fitted under my skin, to capture details of what the hell happens when I have them. And then, once they've pinpointed what happens and where, they'll oblate me - basically send a tube into my heart with a stun gun, and zap the offending area into submission. Front line treatment, apparently, with a 95% success rate and a 1% complication rate. That'll do for me, if and when I need it.

But for now, the advice is keep losing the weight, stay away from the caffeine (Mumble, mumble, whinge, whinge), and all should be well, so I feel like I've pretty much bypassed the cardiac issues for a while.

On the whole "keep losing the weight" thing though, I'm frankly slacking. Today is the third consecutive day when I've done no biking. None at all. Not even a little bit. That really must change tomorrow. There's no reason why it shouldn't: the day job is under good control. The editing job is under good control after the deadline crunch of last weekend. The organisation fo the office is on a plateau, and could do with going a little further, but that's easy and fun. So there's no excuse, tomorrow, for not carving out at least an hour to bike, and maybe even another hour to get my lazy ass to the gym and do something other than working my legs and my lungs. Knuckle down, Disappearo-boy, you don't want to fall back across the 16st 7 barrier next Tuesday...

No comments:

Post a Comment