Tuesday 14 May 2013

The Almost-Free Gift

OK...so that makes no sense.

This has not been a great Disappearing week. Curry night (where, I forgot to mention, I didn't go for the slightly-more-sensible proteinfest after all, but shared a honey-sweetened curry and a biryani, along with a naan bread), plus several days of just walking, no biking.

So how I came away from the Nazi Scales this morning with a weigh-in of 16st 3.25 - down 3.25 pounds on last week - I don't quite understand. Yes, presumably, there's some latitude in those figures from the fact that yesterday was an UberCommute, on which days I'm usually - as yesterday - too busy to each much of anything. But still and all - this feels almost like a free gift week, given that I didn't work that hard for it.

Woohoo! Brief little happy dance from the still-fat fuck, as he realises that there are pictures of him where he felt he looked pretty good...ish...and at the time, he was 16st 9, so he's nearly half a stone better off now than then. Additional little flourish of happy dancing on the end as he realises that if he does this week what he did last week, then at the next weigh-in, he'll be on 16 stone dead...

Whoah...that hit home. I've really barely started again, but apparently come a fair way in a short time. If I can hit 16st by next week (when, incidentally, I don't have an UberCommute the day before the weigh-in). not only is it another milestone (will then have lost 1st 9 pounds since properly re-starting again), but it sets 15 stone firmly in my sights...and this time I'm hungry for more. I want to hit 14 stone. Hell, I want to see 13s, but let's not go wild and crazy, let's focus on short and medium term goals. Short term - 16 stone. Medium-short term - 15 stone. Medium term - 14 stone. And on...

Oh, addendum. My friend Wendy, ex-Forces and something of an exercise junkie, can always be relied on to add some science to the mystification in which I sometimes find myself.
"Ah," she said. "Positive news indeed...I suspect your metabolism is now becoming more efficient during rest..."
I vaguely remember this from the first time round. It's one of the unfairest bonuses not paid to bankers - the more you do of this stuff, the more effective it becomes. That's ridiculously unfair on the people who need fairness most - those just starting out - but on the other hand, if you get some way in, then all the bonuses you can get are handy, helpful and hugely bleedin' appreciated.

Not that I'm going to rest on any putative metabolic laurels this week. Before I came home from my walk this morning I stopped in at the leisure centre to pick up their new timetable of classes. It's time I got back to doing a bit more in terms of muscle-work to help change my shape. Will report back with plans tomorrow. For now, this happy Disappearing Man is off to do a day's work.

Oh and incidentally - didn't go to Hammersmith yesterday for chocolate covered nuts and the like. I will admit though - this being a place of eventual, if not immediate, honesty, that once I'd posted the blog, I did get a sever attack of habit-cravings and sugar-cravings and "treat-cravings", if that's not an insane concept, and the sly little thought did enter my head..."Well, I've told everyone I'm not going to go there now...that'd be perfect cover for a sneaky visit, and no-one'd need to know..."
"Well I'd bloody well tell 'em," I said to myself.
"Fine...bloody spoilsport. Have your no-fun, then, ya selfish bastard..."

Sigh...strange life, being a nark for your own worst instincts...

No comments:

Post a Comment