Friday 31 May 2013

The Einstein Hair Explosion

Sigh...
Have you ever had a day that sarts off all sensible and groovy and then just explodes in a gazillion different directions all at once, like Einstein's hair?

That's today. Slept late, was gonna leave the Trail, but went because - and get this, it's positively Pavlovian - I wouldn't have enjoyed my breakfast if it wasn't "free", which it becomes by going down the Trail.

While on the way back up, I decided to give that "running" malarkey another go, and really quite enjoyed it, from the Abercanaid Question-Mark (it's a kind of sculpture...thing...that announces to all the world in the shape of a question-mark that no really, you're in Abercanaid. Given the inquisitive shape of the thing, I can't help thinking it's really asking why, for the love of any reasonable god, you would be in Abercanaid, but anyway...) back up to the "Merthyr 1 Mile" sign. I mean, I stopped at that point, because that's where the Trail decides what you really need in your life if more Uphill, and I'm not yet quite that masochistic...but clearly I'm getting there. Running today actually felt like running, rather that "frunning" - the kind of sideways speed flab-wobble that fat fucks think is running, but which non-fat fucks look at somewhat pityingly, the line "what does he think he's doing?" never far from the forefront of their brain.

Came home, got on with stuff, ignored the insistent pull of the Nazi Scales. In fact, I Had Breakfast in Anger, specifically so the result would have been meaningless...nehh, that showed them.

Then, pretty much, the day went to hell. Went out, ostensibly to get shaved for tomorrow's performance, and to go to the gym to do more arm work. Stopped for coffee and lunch first - a baked potato with what described itself as chilli chicken in. Man, that was hideous. Didn't finish it - partly cos it was hideous and partly cos I resented spending carb-calories ON something that gave me no pleasure at all. Got up to go to the barbers, and the line was out of the door. Stomped off, crossly, to head to the gym, and my iPod died. Stomped, even more crossly, back to the flat to Get On With Stuff in a mood. Eventually spent half an hour later in the day waiting in the barber line, to achiev an effect which only accentuates the flab-rolls at the back of my neck, like a proper Old Bloke. d was working late tonight, which meant I just had time to do some biking before she got home.

"Hey honey," she said when I returned the call I'd missed by leaving my phone at home while going to get shorn. "Guess what? I didn't need to stay!"
"Cool baby," I said, and I need to be clear here that it is.
"You didn't get to the gym, right?" she asked. "Cos you could bike right now."
And I could have. The To Do List laughed at me.
"I'll do it while she's making dinner," I said - I'd been out to get fish earlier in the day, and she was bringing home some healthy veggies.
The phone rang again.
"Ello," said my brother. Oh yeah, did I mention, my brother's in town this weekend. Sadly, cos of the Choir commitment, tonight's the only time we'll get to spend together.
"Wanna do a Qmin?" he said.
"Suuuuure," I agreed - and once again, I need to stress, this is really cool - good food, good company, good weather, what could be bad?
I just need to slap myself upide the head and stop disaster-fantastising about Tuesday. There seems to be a strong chance, as I read back over the course of my mental processes throughout the day, that I'm getting a tad demented about the whole thing again.

KER-THUNK!!!

Ah. That's better. Right. Scuse me - gonna go get changed into Real Clothes (am still sat here in my would-be gym clothes!), and go spend the evening with my wife and my brother, catching up and eating good food. Tuesday Schmuesday...

No comments:

Post a Comment