Tuesday 8 January 2013

TheYogic Deadline

Now...

...y'see...

The thing is...

I was all gung-ho for the yoga and the boot camp tonight, but, as usual, there was one thing I hadn't taken into account...which was that today was my first day back on the day-job since before Christmas, and that the deadline for my magazine would immediately be pressing and THIS BIG.

Also, I'm not sure what happened to all the clocks in the world today, but every time I blinked, or looked up, or glanced over a clock, an hour, or two, had passed. So at about 4pm I made a command decision, ditched them both, finished the work I was doing and plugged in the bike.

Rode for about an hour and a half, and burned about 600 calories - or lunch, as I also think of it (soup and toast).

Which was just as well, as d put a gorgeous plate in front of me for our evening meal.
Or rather, two.
Fish, sprouts, tomatoes, and a kind of crostini with goats cheese and balsamic vinegar. Felt like a LOT of food, though doing some of the maths, I should be jusssst about OK to have eaten it today, having burned off lunch on the bike.

After last night's sausage explosion, I actually weighed this morning, and was startled, though pleased, with the result. But of course, one shouldn't believe what the scales tell one when one's ass has just fallen out, so let's say there's a certain guarded optimism going into Wednesday. Am up at Ma's house tomorrow, doing more of the day job, and choir in the night - all go for a Disappearing Welshman, innit? - but d's going in to her work early, which gives me an opportunity to either walk or bike or do something at the gym at ugh o'clock, before the day really kicks off.

Came down off the bike this evening, feeling free of pain and oddly righteous."How you feelin'?" said d.
"Good," I said. "Not in pain, and oddly righteous."
She gave me a look, raising her eyebrows.
"Smug, I think, is the word I'm looking for," I admitted.
She laughed, knowingly.
"Yyyyeah," she agreed.

I'd forgotten quite how smug I can be when I'm on a Disappearing jag.

Nevertheless, as I mentioned to d over dinner last night, this time around, I'm going to be altogether more sane either than the first year of the Disappearing Man, or the bounce-back year. I'm going to do my best to have good days, one after the other, but in the event of having a bad day, I'm not going to throw myself off a cliff of hopelessness and go on some sort of binge. You have to just get up the next morning and get back on with it. And so, while I didn't end up doing the yoga and the boot camp tonight, tomorrow's a whole other day. I figure the deadline on doing yoga and the boot camp is, by this definition, stretchier and more limber than my day-job deadline, so that's why I made the choice I did tonight. So - on to tomorrow, and then the first comparative weigh-in of 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment