Saturday 19 January 2013

The Chicago Excellence

I've only been to Chicago a couple of times, and the most I've seen of it is O'Hare Airport (and one hotel room for one night, during a snowstorm).

But I've always liked it on principle. It seems to have an air to it that appeals to me. A kind of "fuck you, we're different" vibe. I mean, true, they brought the world Al Capone, but they also gave the world a Senator more than likely to be the best president in a generation, if not longer.

And then there's the pizza. Chicago Deep Dish pizza is a thing of extraordinary beauty. It's kind of like Pimp My Pizza - like Extreme Pizza: Chicago Edition. It's the kind of pizza God would order for a great Saturday night in with the boys. In fact, I'm not entirely unconvinced that somewhere on the roll of archangels lies the name of DeepDish, the Chef of Heaven.

Had a cool day. Woke for 7.30, and we tramped out into the snow for a McDonalds breakfast - some joyful, grease-dripping muffinfest for d, a plain porridge for me. Came home and met up with Ma in Tescos for coffee and shopping and the slightly hairy sport of taxi-getting - always tricky in this town once it's snowed. Found one eventually. Spent an agreeable afternoon doing editing work, but d and I were both determined today it wouldn't cut into our evening, as it's had a tendency to do of late. I jumped on the bike for an hour, burning about 400 calories (breakfast about twice over, or thereabouts). Then I showered and came down, to a thing of beauty...holding a phenomenal Chicago Deep Dish pizza. Home made.

There are experiences in life that you remember until your brain goes soft. Tonight was one of them. d had worked hard, I think, and presented me with the kind of pizza that makes you glad you had no lunch. True, I could only do three slices, but in my defence before the Court of Gluttony, I'd say that three slices of Deep Dish is a hefty meal by anyone's standards. Now I'm going away to absolutley not worry about having eaten it, because on mathematical balance, I think I'm OK on the day.

Woohoo...

Chicago rocks. And so does my girl...

No comments:

Post a Comment