Friday 25 January 2013

The Frozen Forcefield

Weird day. Got up at 6.30, feeling grumpy as hell. Strapped on my boots and went out walking. Walked to the bottom of Twyn Hill - my normal walking route - and looked up. The idea of sliding and crunching my way up that thing repulsed me. I turned around, and went towards the Taff Trail, clambering up a snow-covered pack-ice path, then looked down the Trail. I'm sure this is my own wuss-ass grumpyism, but it looked impossibly impassable. O I walked through the back of the town, to face myself with the enormo-hill of Heolgerrig.

"Bugger that for a game of soldiers," I decided, and turned around and came home again.

So that was the feeling that dominated my morning - closed off, closed in, snowed under and denied. Meh.

Thing is, it inspired me to gluttony. Classic fat fuck excuse for reasoning - "I'm not happy therefore I want chips and chocolate". I got my coat on, strapped on my boots again and went out with the express purpose of getting both of these things.

I got outside into the light drizzle of snow - yep, that's still falling; can't tell you how overjoyed I am - before it hit me. So far today, my eating hadn't been bad. If I were to add chips and chocolate to the mix though, any rational calculation of intake goes completely out of the window. And what you end up with is a situation where progress you've made is undone, and you have to lose weight you've already lost...again.
"But I wannnnnnnnnit!" yelled my inner brat. "It tastes soooooooo good, and I feel soooooo bad and I need a treat or I'm gonna have a big messy tantrum right here!"
"Do you though?" said a saner, altogether more calm part of my brain. "Do you feel sooooo bad? Really? And do you really want the consequences of this short-term pleasure?"

And so I turned around, went back home, and came here to write this. Told my pal Wendy about this. Her response pretty much sums up the day:
"Get thee behind me, Chipfat!"

Yeah...quite...

No comments:

Post a Comment