Wednesday 16 January 2013

The Exercise Inefficiency



Back to the Disappearing business today - light cereal breakfast, beans on toast lunch, fruit salad at Ma’s and sausage with corn and a thing I understand is well-known in the States, but which I’ve never actually eaten before – Riceroni. Portion control good, meal choices generally good, sausage and riceroni – well, you have to have a bit of something.
Didn’t exercise this morning though – had to crack on in work, because I took a half day of leave this afternoon, for the delight that was Dad’s inquest. Pretty much turned out as expected, and feel a little better as a result. But figured I could bike when I got home.
Here’s the weird thing. I did. Took me an hour of pedalling, but whereas normally I can average between 400-600 calories, tonight I scraped by with a measly not-really-breaking-a-sweat 200-odd. Not sure what the Hell that was about.

While on the biking, had a text from Wendy.
“Do you sit down or stand up on the bike?” she asked.
“I sit down of course,” I said. “I did standing during spin classes. It’s bad for you.”
“It’s not bad for you,” she countered, cunningly.
“Bloody well feels bad for you,” I counter-countered, wittily.
“Get up, ya girl!” she countered. Cubically.
“No,” I concluded. Finally.
I think she may be under the misapprehension that my bike is a normal sitty-standy bike, rather than the recumbent, Harley-style mean machine it is. As far as I’m concerned, the clue here is in the name. Recumbent. I should be able to exercise on this thing laying down with a pillow and a milky drink, dammit. I am not able to stand up in the saddle on it, without breaking something fairly crucial in the bike, and also in my spine. So…nehh.
“How’d you do?” asked d when I came downstairs.
“Pathetic,” I said. “Didn’t even break a sweat. 200 calories.”
“Then what’s the point of it?” she asked.
“Buggerall, dear,” I admitted, and settled down to dinner. Checking out now – turning off the computer, going to watch a brainless movie starring Chris Pine, and absolutely not reflecting on the day. Tomorrow, to bastardise the bejeesus out of Scarlett O’Hara…Tomorrow is another Disappearance…

No comments:

Post a Comment