Sunday 9 June 2013

The Misplaced Monday

What the Hell day is it? I mean, actually, for the rest of you?
Feels like a Monday to me – the day has been about travelling, and Starbucks, and working my ass off, and not really having time to eat much, and then, bizarrely out of nowhere, singing fourteen songs really pretty well tonight at St David’s Hall, Cardiff – smaller venue than last week, and smaller crowd, but much better focus and energy and sound from my particular bunch, anyhow – might have something to do with not having spent three hours on a coach prior to singing, or maybe being in familiar territory…although I know a couple of guys who weren’t at the last one, and who were at tonight’s, and who will quite naturally take allllll kinds of credit for the improved coherence…Hehe…you know who you are…

Thing is, it isn’t Monday, is it? Not beyond the confines of my brain and biorhythms. It’s…I’m taking a punt here, but I think it’s Saturday…right?

Which means in about 32 hours’ time, I have to do a Monday Proper…which seems altogether delusional and not a little unfair, to be honest.

Of course, a particularly cynical Disappearing Man…of which I hardly by this time need to tell you I am one…would say “Ah, but calorifically, if not metabolically, Mondays are good for you – you take very little in, and presumably your body burns what you do take in in order to maintain itself…”

Yyyyeah, well maybe, but Mondays are also zero-exercise days, and my next handful of deadlines are getting crunchy, which means they have to be where my principal focus is for the next few days. So let’s just say we’ll only have one more Monday this week, and see where we go, shall we?


Am writing this on Platform Six of Cardiff Central train station, in a pair of grey formal trousers, a white shirt, tie and blazer. On a Saturday night. Anyone who happens, gods help you, to have watched any episode of MTV’s nauseating “reality” show, The Valleys, will know this is the social equivalent of taking a briefcase to primary school. Time for a quick change, I think, and then home…probably to pull a bit of a late night, pushing on to meet a couple of deadlines. And then, before you know what’s what, it’ll be Monday again. Again…

No comments:

Post a Comment