Thursday 22 November 2012

The Snapped Elastic Abyss

Before we start, no I'm not referring in this blog to actual snapped elastic. There will be no retrospectively hilarious tales of me schlepping round a city, holding up my drawers with both hands, having ballooned beyond their tolerance levels.

Got a slightly false, pre-morning-bathroom result for today's weigh-in, as had to go walk with Ma and from there straight to her place. But it wasn't great - 17stone 8 pounds.

In a way though, this is the point - I'm at a point right now where I need to pull things significantly back, push the discipline pedal to the metal and push on down from here. However, tomorrow, there's a formal dinner we'll be attending. Next week, we have three glorious days of hotellish calorific intensity at my pal Wendy's wedding - awoohoo! And in December, we're away for another three days of hotelling over Christmas itself. So what we have is a range of joyful, delicious, and generally celebratory speed-bumps in the pathway of my Disappearing journey.

Of course, this is nothing but copping-out. I'll be in charge of my own destiny going forward. What will be important is not snapping my elastic. Not giving into the inevitability of the speed-bumps (feels really weird of course, describing one of my best friends' wedding as a speed-bump - not what I mean, of course!) and saying "To Hell with it, let's eeeeeeaaaaaat!!" on all the days inbetween the bumps. Time, clearly , to exercise restraint on days when I can, and celebrate with friends and family on the days when those celebrations happen. To do anything else will plunge me into an abyss of excess that will rocket me back up the increasingly small distance back to where I started this journey. The margin between where I am now and where I started out is now too small to allow me any elastic-complacency about this. Eyes down, arse up and let's get focussing...

No comments:

Post a Comment