Saturday 24 November 2012

The Black Forest Diversion

So...a funny thing happened to me on the way to midnight...

You remember I said that I was gonna work and be full of discipline on days when I didn't have a calorific speed-bump, and then all kinda cool and chilled out when I did?

Well here's the thing about speed-bump days.

I know they're coming now.

Which means when I went for a coffee with my pal Rebecca this morning, it turned into one Gingerbread Latte, and one...erm...Black Forest Hot Chocolate, thanks to the nearest thing we have to a Starbucks in this town, which is the Costa on the Retail Park...

This evening was the speed-bump proper - an annual dinner with the choir. The food was good enough, and when desserts were offered, before I could even particularly think about it, I stuck my hand in the air. Of the desserts available, what landed in front of me couldn't have been more appropriate - Black Forest Gateau.

And reader, I ate it.

Yes I did, and I'm frankly unapologetic about it. Y'know why? Because part of my duty for the night was to take pictures, and that meant digging out the camera, and that in turn meant - holy fuck! Finding the pictures of myself when I started this whole thing. And yeah, sure, the margin's fairly narrow - it's about three stone, give or take a pound and a fart, from when I started to where I am now. But...damn! All I can tell you is that's three important stone! So I'm gonna not stress out. I'm gonna work hard when I can, and have fun when I can, and pound by bloody pound, overall and on balance, I'm gonna push on down. But I'm gonna be fine, and I'm still a lot better than I was when I began this quest. Downward, yes, by all means. Downhearted? No.

No comments:

Post a Comment