Monday 19 November 2012

The Chocolate Cake Inequality

Did a Starbucks day today - got a lot of work done, and got back on the bike when I got home, so kind of a yin-yang day of a little bit of everything. One thing I noticed today though:
I've mentioned before how these festive days at Starbucks (and elsewhere), there's your normal coffee...and then there's the fetishised Christmas-blend, weird-ass additional flavoured coffees - praline lattes, and toffee-nut malarkeys and minty chocolate coffee...stuff from Heaven via calorific Hell.

Well, I was queueing for my first coffee of the day today, and looked up at the board. Then I blinked, and swore under my breath. The lady in front of me turned round, as if I was calling her names. I smiled at her, then double-checked the chunk of chocolate cake on which my eye had lit before flitting up to the board to the coffees.

Turns out a big toffee-nut fuck-me drink is actually heavier, calorie-wise, than a biggish slab of chocolate cake.

How can that be? In what universe can a cup of faffed-about coffee be worse for you than a big slab of chocolate cake? Have I slipped through a crack in the multiverse and ended up in a world where coffee is made with lard?? Is tea secretly loaded with buttercream? Is duck-fat orange squash the newest cheffy thing and no-one's told me, despite the hours of food TV I watch?

What, in a phrase, the fuck??

Back to Starbucks tomorrow for an elongated session, as I'm going to see Dara O'Briain be funny tomorrow night. Woohoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment