Wednesday 7 November 2012

Missing Inaction

Wow...

Thanks, America. I mean that sincerely - thank you.  Every time it looks as though things might go staggeringly wrong in recent years, you've come through. The rest of the world will sleep a little easier tonight than it did last night.

That's the thing - for all my talk about watching the Presidential election unfold live, I was gone last night before Ohio reported in. Why?

Well, because it struck me, as I stared dementedly at the TV screen, that I had turned into the political equivalent of those people who get on planes and won't move, or eat, or drink, or watch TV, because if they don't focus on keeping the plane in the air, or the people who go to a sporting event not to enjoy watching the game, but because their team will lose without them there to will them on, to mentally curve a ball, or psychically lift it toward the outfield...(That's it, that's my store of sports metaphors emptied).

So I went to bed. And when I woke up at 1-something, at 3-something, at 4-something and 5-something and a couple of separate 6-somethings, I forced myself to turn over, and not obey the impulse of my legs to get up and go downstairs.

At the second 6-something, it turned out d was awake too.

"I can hear you thinking," she said.
"Mmmpf" I said.
"It's a kind of crunchy sound," she said, borrowing shamelessly from the movie One Day, which we watched recently.
"Mmmraawwwrrmmpf," I argued.
"Do you wanna know who won?" she asked, picking up her phone.
"Sort of," I admitted. "But I'm kinda scared..."
She read me the headline result. I blinked.
"Really?" I almost gasped. "Freakin' A!!" I stopped myself from thinking "He did it? Without me? Huh..."

Today is now officially A Good Day in Disappearing World. In fact, it's a very good day - looks like there's a thinker continuing in the most powerful office in the world. As other battles float in front of my eyes, it looks bigger than that though - The senate looks like it's still in Democratic control...Granted, the Congress is still Republican controlled, but hey...The first openly lesbian Senator - Tammy Baldwin - and shitloads more gay and lesbian people had their relationships recognised as marriage-equal. What's more, a good fistful of Tea Party candidates had their asshats handed to them, which has to be a good thing, and particularly the extra special asses who told the world they believed a woman's body "shut down" potential pregnancies from rape, as if to claim there are no real consequences to that whole rape business...they're gone, they're outta here, which is clearly a good thing.

So - yay! Onward to the day, work, meetings, dentistry and Disappearing, then tonight to choir, to make an extra-specially joyful noise!

No comments:

Post a Comment