Friday 29 March 2013

The Steam Cloud Stupidity

Now, you will have been here before.

You will have been, because I have been.

I did something stupid this afternoon. Feeling actually as though the week was paying dividends, I did a middle-of-the-day, post-a-couple-of-meals weigh.

That was stupid. Reeeeeeally stupid. Showed me at 17st 13.75, which would be catastrophic given the exercise I've started doing this week, and which also wouldn't correspond to what I'm seeing in the mirror.

This, you see, is the danger of vanity. Vanity that makes you break routines, break times, to sneak a little look at how you're doing. Vanity that gives you results which actually mean nothing at all, but can - if you let them - sink in and suck the spirit out of you.

Have I let it do that?
Sort of, inasmuch as there's been a kind of cloud of grey steam around my head for the rest of the day.
But tomorrow, we walk, again. Tomorrow we work, and we walk, and we bloody well perservere. To hell with clouds of grey steam and crushing stupidities. Effort must be paid, work must be done, for the reward we want in this world. Tomorrow, incidentally, sees me clear - for a day or two at least - of pressing deadlines, so tomorrow sees me walk and bike, dammit.

And on we go.

No comments:

Post a Comment