Tuesday 21 February 2012

Take A Hike!

Blood this morning a deeply dodgy 6.9 - making up for yesterday's 4.9 I guess.
Weigh-in results this morning: 15 stone 1.25

That's a textbook two-pound loss on last week. Also means if I can repeat last week, this week, I'll achieve my 5.5 stone 'badge', as it were, within my first year as a Disappearing Man. Which is actually a stone more than halfway. In fact, if I achieve that marker, I'll have lost 77 of the original 104 pounds I was aiming to lose in the first year (putting me fractionally less than two stone behind the curve. Given that I started without any real idea whether I'd make it through a year of this...ahem...endeavour, I'm happy enough if I can get there. Should also of course mean that within the scope of Year 2, I'll hit my target, and then be left with...(shrugs)...no more Disappearing to do. Which will be extremely weird.

Cool, but extremely weird.

In other news, followed through on my ramblings of a couple of days ago, I signed on today to do the Maggie's Night Hike on September 21st this year.

If I've done it right, there should be a now-permanent link to it on the right of this blog. 

Maggie's Cancer Care Centres do a kick-ass job. If you need more than the four words with the inital capital letters to get that, check them out riiiiight here.

The Night Hike is 20 miles of walking...in one night. Nearly died trying to do that, frankly. Ended up exhausted, self-righteous and so completely blistered I didn't want to move any part of my body for about a fortnight. So...yaaaaay, let's get another steamin;' hunk of that, right?

Last time I did it, it was back in 2009. At the time, I was something like 18 stone. It was enjoyable, and in the aftermath of all the preparation for doing it, I decided to get fit and healthy, joined a gym, never went to it, ate like I lived there and put on two stone of pure flab. Sooooo that worked. You've already seen those stones - they were the early, bitchy stones.

Thing is, right now, I'm three-stone-or-thereabouts lighter than last time (as well as three fairly crucial years older), so I'm kinda wondering whether I'll still be able to pull it offf.

I'm also kinda wondering how many of you lovely lovely people (at least 40 of you read the "We're Gonna Need A Bigger Spreadsheet" entry, which is frankly mental), will either a) give me some dosh to push me through the later, entirely eeeeevil miles of this thing, or b) spread the word to people who either have more money, or biggger hearts than you do!

In the event that the link on the right doesn't work, I'm gonna have to keep posting THIS LINK in pretty much every entry....jusssst to piss you off. As a teeny tiny incentive to give me your money and force me to hurt through twenty - count 'em, that's ten...then a whoooole other ten we knew nothing about - long-ass miles, if you click the link, you'll not only get a surname, for the first time in almost a year of Disappearing, you'll also get a picture. It's a picture from before annny of this - before the extra two stone went on, before the first Night Hike, at one of the only two times in my life when a camera was pointed at me and I personally thought I looked pretty cool. C'mon, if the sheer evil agony of me walking twenty miles in a night doesn't get you all shook up, a picture of me thinking I look all that (at at least a couple of stone heavier than I am right now, awoohoo!) - that's gotta be worth the price of admission, hasn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment