Saturday 23 June 2012

Rubik's Living Room

Wow.
Erm...let's see. Woke up this morning at something past 7. d kissed me, smiled, and the curtains of my eyelids closed, to a soundtrack of snoring.
Woke up next at what felt like midday. The bed was empty, so I lay there for about half an hour, contemplating life, the universe, everything, and the price of fish...as you do when you've slept horribly late and realise that the next half hour is make-or-break on the day.
Turned on my phone.
"9.15," it said. "Goooooooooooood mooooooooooorninnnnnng!"

I blinked. It couldn't be right. On the other hand, it wasn't changing either its mind or its story, so I went along with it. Turned on my phone, and got a text from d.
"If you're up, you can meet me for breakfast," she said. Turned out she'd been up for hours, cleaned the living room, decimated the kitchen, shopped once, shopped a second time, come home, shopped again, and was about to have breakfast at a local cafe.

Went, had breakfast, shopped some more.
"Y'know we've got Karen and Brian coming next weekend?" said d.
"Yeah," I said. "Living room looks amazing."
"Yyyyyeah...erm..."
"What?"
"See...what we need to do is...erm...completely change...sort of...everything."
I blinked.
"Everything?"
"Yeah. Kinda. See, there's a fridge freezer."
"Right..."
She looked at me.
"Not the one that's here right now..."
"There's a different one?"
"There will be, yes...We have discussed this, you know..."
"We have?"
"Yes dear. Several times."
"Oh," I said. "Where was I?"
"You were there," she said. "Honestly."
"Oh," I said again. "Right...so there's a fridge freezer."
"Yeah. Only we don't have the space for one."
"Wait a second, is this a second fridge freezer?"
"Nono, we'll have to get rid of the one we have."
"But we still won't have space for the new one?"
"No. It's a space...thing."
"Right."
"That means putting half the kitchen in the living room."
"Right."
"That means we need to completely shift the room around...which is gonna take a couple of weekends..."
I blinked again.
"Ah."
"Bugger."
"Yeah," she agreed.
"I've got stuff to do," I whined, pleadingly. "Dad's book..."
"That's fine honey," she said. "I'm just gonna prepare the ground today...you go up to the office and work on his book..."

See...I should know that voice by now. That accommodating head-tilt.
I came down a few hours later. The room had been completely shifted. Sofas, bookcases, the TV unit...all different.
"Now there's space for the bits of the kitchen we need in here," she said.
"Cunning," I said. "Very cuning."
"Still a long way to go," she said. "But yeah. To be honest honey, it was easier than listening to you whine..."
I opened my mouth to protest. Thought about it. Closed it again. She was altogether right.
So now we have Rubik's living room. When we develop Rubik's kitchen...well, I probably won't know about that till it's done either...

No comments:

Post a Comment