Saturday 29 October 2011

Traipsing Down Corridors

Today, much like a week ago today, it's all been about Who, and my obsession with a TV show that's older than I am. d got me a ticket to the annual London convention - her willingness to indulge and empower my weirder hobbies (there are a few, in case you haven't been keeping up with the inscrutable minutiae of my existence - slackers, the lot of you!) is just another of the many reasons I love her. But it's like night and day - whereas last week, the energy of the Experience was young and funny, and family-broad, and run-aroundy, today is pretty much guaranteed to make you feel like you're a) too old for this shit, and b) like you take particular bits of your life waaaay too freakin' seriously. I'm writing this sitting in an auditorium with about fifty other blokes and three women, listening to a bloke who played a character in the show for four episodes back in the 1980s talking about everything he's been doing in the years inbetween...and, for some reason, Fulham Football Club.

Which is fine of course, that's what he's into, and we're all here bathing in his tangential connection to something about which we appear to care a whole hell of a lot. But still - while I love the fact that d got this for me, I have a feeling that my convention-going days may be coming to an end, as my enthusiasm doesn't exactly shift, but I think, shifts focus.

Understand, I'm not criticising these people for only-being-tangentially-involved with something about which I care. It's more that sitting in a room full of serious blokes on a Saturday afternoon, all of whom could tell you the way to reverse the polarity of a neutron flow at the drop of a hat, does rather hold up a big funfair-style mirror to your own neurosis.

The good thing from a Disappearing point of view about doing conventions here in the famous Riverside Studios in Hammersmith is that the sales and signing section is on the ground floor, and the listening-to-tangential-fucks-from-the-80s section is on what could be generously described as the fourth floor, so there's been a certain amount of upstairsing and downstairsing throughout the course of the day. The Whisper is whispering that this is good for me.

So that's what I'm doing today.Weird life, innit?

No comments:

Post a Comment