Sunday 3 May 2015

The Uphill Evolution

Went walking this morning as is becoming normal, but instead of our usual round and round and round route in the local park, I put a foot down.
"I really want to actually go somewhere," I said.
"Where then?" said Ma.
"Up," I said.
Ma gave a mischievous grin. We do uphill really quite well round here.
"Right then," she said.

We parked up at the local retail park, and walked up from there to her new bungalow. I'm familiar with this walk - we've done something like it before, but not since last year, when, to be frank, it nearly killed me. I was one wheezing, sweating, panting mess the last time.

This morning - notsomuch. Powered on up, did three miles. Sure, it was touch, but not tough enough to make me pant. This, I'm guessing, is the result of what progress there's been so far.

Keeping this entry brief - just feels like one of the most tangible metrics of Disappearing measurement so far. Eventually there's going to be measurable change in terms of clothing, but until that shows up, being able to do things that used to hurt me is good enough to put a grin on my face.

Since then, I've had a relatively calorie-heavy day - porridge for breakfast, beans on toast (two slices) for lunch, followed by a fruit salad and some cashew nuts that probably shouldn't have been wolfed down as they were. Still - not going to stress and freak as I would have done a couple of years ago - "Waaargh! The nuts of doom have passed my lips" Not doing that this time. Just keeping head down, ass up, and get on the bike as per usual. Pushing on, doing what I can do, delighting in the fact that that's more than it used to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment