Saturday 28 May 2011

Out Of The Closet

Interesting day today, that took me right back to the first night in the States. We decided that this weekend, we'd do what we could do to clear out our closet of all the stuff that no longer fits or has outlived its purpose. That involved looking through the far end of the closet. Now, as you might imagine, we do this now and again, and the last time we did, we shoved a whole lot of stuff in the far end (which is never or rarely opened in day-to-day living) which we'd grown out of. When I opened the far end today and started trying pieces on, it turned out I now have far more shirts that fit than I had the last time I closed the closet. I've reclaimed quite a few bits of clothing that didn't fit, which was a nice visible marker of progress. As I say, it reminded me of the first night in the States, when our suitcase, containing all our clothes, was lost en route from Chicago to Buffalo. d went to Wal-Mart the next morning, and got us some clothes in case the case was lost for a while. It's become simply the norm, when shopping for clothes for me, to opt for 'Shrek-Size' - at least XXL, or, if in the States, where it has to be said, they cater less shamefully for the terminally large, XXXL. This time, d got a good few XXL shirts, and I gladly swapped out of my 36-hours-of-wearing plane clothes
"Wow," said d. "Way to be too big..." Apparently, I've dropped an X along the way so far, and while my single XL clothes bought here in the UK still occasionally bulge a little, clearly, I've done enough to welcome some of my previously-dead clothes back into the active side of the closet. So that's positive.

Anyhow, must stop now, as I've eaten two big meals today and not in fact shifted off my couch to any degree whatever. So am off for a walk...apparently. Probably just as well, I seem to be saying 'closet' far too much, when of course, what I really mean is 'wardrobe...' Seriously, I don't have closets, I'm British...

No comments:

Post a Comment