Friday 27 May 2011

Back To Normal

Welllll how are we then, eh? After a traumatic trip to the States, and a mad three days in Croatia,I'm finally back to normal...which, as you know, around here means I have a four day bloody weekend! I swear, one of these days, I'm gonna do some hard work for days at a time, honest!

Did a weigh-in this morning which should really have been done on Tuesday. Initial results were that I'd put on a pound, at 19 stone 4.25. This, I thought, was fair enough - we've all known from the start there'd be weeks when I'd put on, and the wine-fest in Croatia would make sense as a cause of weight gain.

But here's the thing...the last few days, I really haven't felt very much like breakfast, so this morning, I didn't bother, and about mid-morning, I went for a second pee. Couldn't really resist, so had another weigh, after the event, and discovered I was back down to 19 stone 3.25 - exactly the same as when I weighed on Sunday. No won any normal weigh-in Tuesday, this wouldn't be acceptable behaviour in any way, shape or form, because of course I'm only using the digital scales at home to give consistent weights, and normally I'd have been in work before my revealing second pee...so...technically cheating? On the other hand, clearly the extra pound wasn't stored as fat, so I reckon there's enough logic to jussst about say I've maintained...whaddaya reckon?

Anyway - feels good to be home. The engineers will be coming to look at the exercise bike next Thursday, so that'll be the proper back in business date, but it feels like time to get back to all the discipline with which I started out on this experiment, and that feels like an exciting, positive thing.

Oh, and just to maintain the fiction that this is not all about me, me, me - heard from two other people who are trying to lose weight today - my mother was pleased to report she's passed her first stone barrier today on the Weight Watchers plan, so yay mum. And my friend Karen Pulley popped in with a "Go Sisters!" comment on the "Disappearing Woman" entry, and mentioned that she's lost between 7 and 12 pounds in about the last three weeks. Daresay the docs would say that was too much too fast, but that's one thing I know to be true - when you're losing, purposefully, the concept of too much too fast really doesn't feel like it applies, you just wanna make progress. So yay Karen too.

So where does this all leave me? Well, to some extent, the 'long game' of this business is really starting to kick me. Feels like I've been in the 19 stone zone for...freaking...ever...but with my rational head on, I know this is just a by-product of having started out at a half-stone point (regular readers will know I was 20 stone 7.5 when we began this madness) - so I had something to celebrate and a change of number relatively early on, in comparison to which, the long slog through a whole stone of the same number appears to be taking forever. On the other hand of course, according to the schedule, I was supposed to have lost 26 pounds by now, which would put me at 18 stone 9.5, as opposed to 19 stone 3.25, so I'm significantly behind where I should be. But the way I'm looking at it, you can let such things depress you and worry you - in which case you might as well hop on the fashion rollercoaster with the Disappearing Women AND make your system super-sensitive to calories when it gets them, adding more weight, proportionately, for the food you're eating, causing yourself ever more heartbreak - or you can say 'sometimes, shit happens' and pick up the pace when you can. In my case of course, I was a smartarse when the US trip came around and said 'let's try to maintain or put on just a little, and lull the body into a false sense of security, so when I get back to the exercise regime, it powers through the plateau again..." - which is precisely what I now intend to do. So, in a very real sense...nehhh!

No comments:

Post a Comment