Sunday 7 July 2013

The Seven Sins Sunday

It's been a day of seven sins here, none of which are particularly useful to a Disappearing Man.

Woke up this morning with Lust in what it is conveniently euphemistic to call my heart...

Thought about going down the Trail for a six-mile walk...then got back into bed and let Sloth take me.

Opened up an email from a client, full of praise for the job we did for them. Which is as good a way as any of letting Pride into your life.

Pondered the aim of getting my own writing out into the world for a while, and felt a stab of cloying, honeyish Envy that others, that friends of mine, had books coming out or books on shelves, while I remain as yet just "promising".

Then remembered that however I might want to blow off things and feed my own characters on occasional Sundays, the amount of work we have booked (now running into October), will be good for business (which frankly, I think counts as Greed).

Had a moment of Wrath in Ebbw Vale. We'd gone to replace my dead hiking boots (they are ex-hiking boots. They have ceased to be). I'd brought the laptop along to get some work done when d and Ma went Proper Shopping, as I knew - this not being my first time at the rodeo - they would do.
"You don't need to sit and set up baby," said d, as they prepared to go into one particular last-little-shop. "We'll be right out..."
After ten minutes of standing, broiling like a frog on a hotplate, I went and sat in the shade...fuming quietly.
 
Which of course leaves Gluttony.
Gluttony wasn't going to feature particularly highly in my day till after lunching with Ma, there appeared plans for a dessert - fruit, meringue, ice cream and whipped cream...Didn't need it, shouldn't have had it, but wanted it, dammit, so had it.

Have now had a fortnight pretty much off the wagon. That ends tomorrow at 7am, when I - in my new boots - head off back down the Trail. Too little, too late of course to affect Tuesday's result, but this can't just be about Tuesday weigh-ins. If it's to be any damn use at all, it has to be about steady progress over time. And progress begins with a first step.

Tomorrow. 7am.

No comments:

Post a Comment