Saturday 29 June 2024

The Amputation Equation


 

"Something just ocurred to me."

"OK," I said. "Hit me."

"There's only a third of normal bloodflow getting to the toe right now," said d. "That's why the ulcer's stone dead."

"Yeah."

"So...if they have to amputate the thing...how's it gonna heal? Without the bloodflow, I mean?"

I swallowed.

"I...think that's why we're doing this, darling."

I'm not of course sure about any of this - d has an appointment with a vascular surgeon on Wednesday, at which we hope to learn more. But I'm a middle-aged white guy, so never let it be said I let my speculation stand as less than gospel truth.

"I figure that's the race. If it starts, I sort of assume they have to head off the enblackening at the last point they think they have viable bloodflow for the recovery process," I theorized, irresponsibly. "Hence the regular monitoring appointments?"

"Ah,"she said.

Nodded.

Turned the TV to a B-movie about dark asteroids crashing into the Earth.

I'm assuming that was either just a random stab in the dark - oddly enough, we'd previously landed on "Signs of the Coming of Armageddon," and had just got up to the part where the big fuck-off asteroid named Wormwood crashes into the Earth, so there's kind of a theme to the evening - or a deliberate choice of mental channel-change, along the lines that "Things Could Be A Whole Lot Worse."

Anyway, did a small bit of walking today. Didn't feel enough, in some senses, but also felt like exactly as much as I could safely do, so bugger it, that's what was done. 

Looking forward to more information on d's condition and options on Wednesday.  After that, probably a good idea to make potentially joint appointments at the local doctors ("Place your bets - it's telephonic roulette!") to see what's what with both of us, and investigate blood sugar monitoring kit.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment